I’ve recently completed a new collage, and quite a strange one it is! It has a story though, but I’ll show you first.
The story is….I found a butterfly lying on the grass and thought she was dead. She had damaged wings, and tried to fly when I picked her up, but couldn’t use the wings properly and was very exhausted. Taz took her inside, gave her a place with leaves, flowers etc in a box, and actually managed to feed her some dilute sugar syrup on a cotton ball…after having to delicately unwind her proboscis (feeding tube). The little creature survived overnight, and next morning was sitting in a tiny piece of sunlight in her box. So we took her outside into the light and air, and near to a tree. She seemed to delight in this and amazingly flew away!…to freedom. We were very pleased and I was inspired to write a haiku and make this artwork. The leaves are all photo copies of actual leaves we found, but obviously the butterfly isn’t! The species is called a “Common Crow”, and is local to the Brisbane area. So that’s the story. And it had a happy ending for all of us. Here’s the Haiku I wrote, and it’s included in the collage.
I’m posting my regular “Artwork of the Month” a bit early this time….due to my computer problem. I will have to use an old image from my library and talk about that. But that’s ok….learning to embrace the circumstances! So this month it’s “Two goddesses with moons”.
Two goddesses with Moons
This is quite an old painting and I’ve shown it before as part of a group of old paintings in an earlier blog. This painting depicts a symbolic landscape referencing neolithic times and the earth goddesses which prevailed during this period. I’ve placed them in a natural landscape, as they were goddesses of the earth. They have no particular names as there’s no written history for those times, but names are not important. They represent ancient people’s connection to the planet, and I like to reflect on this continuity for us today; reconnecting with the earth and respecting nature. The painting was made with oil paints and contains many symbols. These symbols are 4 moons, a triangle representing the feminine, a spiral (the cycle of life), and another circle, and a small zigzag symbol which according to research means something like “rain”. So we have quite a big collection of symbols creating layers of meaning. The goddesses are large earth mother types which was favoured in those times and their faces were never represented realistically…more like masks. And masks were possibly used in rituals during the neolithic period. The connection to the planet was a matter of survival for such people’s and throughout eastern Europe many such figurines have been unearthed from archeological sites, mostly featuring typically, these styled goddess figures and also a smaller group of male gods that seem to have less importance. So we can see from this research that fertility of the earth, it’s crops, and a bountiful supply of what people needed to live was upper most in their minds…hence the large amount of ritual objects. I was making a lot of research about these finds at the time of painting this picture, and others similar. It’s always interesting to go over old stuff and see it in a new light or simply refresh the memory. Hope you enjoy the image of the goddesses and the accompanying information.
This month I’ll talk about an abstraction I made last year titled “Magenta meets yellow andorange”. This painting has a great sense of immediacy about it, yet the colours and their placement were carefully considered. I wanted to make a juxtaposition of the orange and magenta, yet allow the yellow to be a central theme. It’s almost like a collision of these colours, and this is the result! I knew the background could not be strongly present, taking a very subdued presence, and letting the vibrant magenta, yellow, and orange voice be heard. The painting needed a few extra marks of black to lift it from being a red focused energy, and so I used a couple of simple gestures to balance the hot energy. A few areas of blended colour were employed to break the large orange area in particular. I found this painting to be a lot of fun to make, and in a way it seemed to create itself, or at least had it’s own momentum. Things worked very easily, and I was very happy at completion…and still am! Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.